At St. Joseph’s Academy, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet’s (CSJ) charism of unifying love and living in right relationship are the bedrock for diversity, equity and inclusion.
As a CSJ institution, we are called to move always “toward love of God and love of neighbor without distinction.” Throughout our history, the CSJs have “served the Dear Neighbor,” who may be of another culture, ethnicity, race, age, socioeconomic circumstance, faith, gender or sexual identity. The spirit and action of inclusivity continues to be expressed today, as we live out our school motto, “Not I, But We.” Christ calls us to love others as he would love us as well as to be merciful as God is merciful; therefore, we are called as an SJA community to do the same.
St. Joseph’s Academy’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion invites our community to recognize and acknowledge all people being created with dignity and in the image of God; a recognition that each person brings many gifts to the community; and with a humility that engenders empathy, understanding and curiosity to develop a deeper awareness of a fuller sense of equity and inclusion as it relates to gender, race, faith, socioeconomic circumstances, sexual identity, as well as individual talents and learning styles in a college preparatory environment.
We recognize that the attainment of an environment that is fully diverse, equitable and inclusive is a journey, not a moment of achievement. As we “move towards the more” within the hallmarks of our welcoming and affirming community, together we will:
- Foster open, respectful conversations about our unique differences.
- Commit to providing a safe environment for authentic dialogue by using the SJA Cultural Norms.
- Practice “respect for self and others” by appreciating interests, opinions and perspectives outside of our individual world views.
- Work to deepen our cultural understanding of one another by knowing and walking with others who are not like ourselves, ultimately recognizing a deep connectedness in our human family.
- Perpetuate an informed network of young women equipped to “make a profound impact” in a multicultural world and global society.
Emanating from the CSJ charism to accomplish our goals of inclusivity, we invite each member of our school community to:
- Understand and develop a personal authenticity that fosters unification through contemplation and loving collaboration.
- Listen attentively so we can speak, work, teach and learn freely with each other.
- Critically analyze the power structures that elevate and suppress particular differences.
- Grow in our relationship with God and others, so that we become more aware of our own human limitations by challenging biases and historical limitations.
- Stand with the voiceless.
- Fully embrace our community spirit of “Not I, But We,” recognizing that we can accomplish more together than we can apart.
"May they all be one as you Father are in me and I am in you. May they be one in us; so that the world may believe that you have sent me." [John 17:21]