Wellness Counseling at St. Joseph’s Academy meets the needs of students beyond those generally provided in high school. To this end, the St. Joseph’s Academy Counseling Staff includes two Wellness Counselors.
It is important that students know that the Wellness Counselor maintains an "open door" policy, that all conversations are kept confidential (with the exception of sharing information that suggests risk of harm to the student or to another person), that she has a safe place in the school to talk about anything that is troublesome or of concern to her - that she does not have to struggle alone with a difficult time in her life.
- Provide counseling to students in all grade levels and follow up as needed.
- Make referrals to professionals in the community.
- Conduct crisis intervention as needed.
- Coordinates the IMPACT program, an organized method of identifying students who are struggling or who are at-risk with any difficult life issue within herself, her family, or her friends.
- Arrange for whole-school assemblies to broaden awareness of wellness issues.
- Wellness presentations are provided throughout the school year. Information regarding the topics and presenters are sent to parents via the weekly newsletter.
- Create and display “Stalling for Wellness” flyers in the student restrooms to educate students and encourage them to make healthy choices.