The designation of STEM Scholar will be awarded to a select group of current and rising seniors at the STEM Celebration on April 16, 2020. This achievement signifies that the student has completed a rigorous course of studies in all areas of STEM during her time at St. Joseph’s Academy and has extensive involvement in STEM extracurricular activities and community events. We anticipate up to ten students receiving this honor at each grade level.
The following criteria are used to evaluate applicants. Applicants who best fit these criteria will be selected.
- Cumulative GPA
- Number of credits earned before graduation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
- Active membership in a STEM related honor society such as Beta Chi Pi or Mu Alpha Theta
- Active membership in other STEM related clubs including: Earth Angels, Art Club, Photography Club, JoeBotics, Rocket Club, Billiken Beams, stage crew for the school plays, Photography or Layout Editor for The Voice, WWT Hackathon, SJA SWENext or the film crew for St. Joe TV
- Attendance at school STEM events such as Lunch & Learns or Engineering Design Challenges.
- Participation in STEM workshops in St. Louis
- Participation in STEM summer programs
- Performing service at a STEM related agency or on a STEM related mission trip
- Participating in a career investigation by shadowing, interviewing, job training or interning with someone in a STEM career
- Experience presenting the results of their own original research work or the work of a team project in which they were actively involved by participation in the Greater St. Louis Science Fair or completion and submission of an eCYBERMISSION Folder or STARS
Seniors who were designated as STEM Scholars during their junior year retain their designation and need not reapply as seniors. All STEM Scholars will be recognized at the STEM Celebration, Baccalaureate and Class Day.