Through all aspects of the Global Education program, St. Joseph’s Academy empowers women to become global leaders with the strong values necessary to make a profound impact in the world.
- explore global issues with inclusivity, empathy, and multiple perspectives
- identify and create opportunities for personal and collaborative action and grow in community relational learning
- develop their growth mindset and resiliency in order to effectively communicate their voice while navigating unfamiliar and difficult situations
- gain the tools to be able to thrive in the future of a global workforce and world
Global Education at St. Joseph’s Academy is tied to the mission and core values of the school. It is our goal that the students involved in Global Education develop these competencies and carry them with them throughout their lives.
“After being introduced to a whole new country, I’ve learned how to adapt to changes in the world around me, by going with the flow of things rather than fighting off what I cannot control. I understand the importance of getting out of my comfort zone and have become passionate in seeking out new experiences that contrast with my daily routine.”
“Before traveling to Ireland I had never been out of the country, so I was quite nervous but when I first interacted with people from Ireland I felt comfortable, ready, and welcome to experience a different lifestyle from my own. There was not a moment during the trip when I questioned my investment in going! Also, my connection with my family will last a lifetime, although we were complete strangers two months ago.”
"Traveling to Madrid was my favorite experience during my time at St. Joe. I loved being with a family and having them take me around Spain. I learned so much—from food to culture to Spanish. This trip helped me make lifelong friends and understand the world better!”
2023-24 Language Immersions and Cultural Exchange Opportunities
- Alternative Spring Break Trip
- Beijing, China
- Bucaramanga, Columbia
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Italy & Greece
- Mass at the Border
- Letterkenney, Ireland
- Lille, France
- London, Edinburgh, and Paris
- Madrid, Spain
- Senior Service with the Sisters
Alternative Spring Break Trip
Cape Town, South Africa
Italy & Greece
Mass at the Border
London, Edinburgh, and Paris
Senior Service with the Sisters
Global Education Club
This club is available to all students interested in becoming engaged global citizens. You must attend 2-3 Global Education events throughout the year to be a club member, but anyone can attend events.
Global Education Speakers and Events
Throughout the year, the Global Education Program will have many opportunities to hear speakers and attend events in person or on Zoom. All are designed to expand the core competencies.
Global Dialogue Events
Students involved in Global Education will have the opportunity to speak with high school students from around the world on current pressing issues to build community learning, improve collaborative learning, and meet new friends.
Global EDucation Scholars program
This is a highly competitive program and it signifies that a student has a strong interest in becoming a true Global Changemaker. This is a program for which every student at St. Joseph’s Academy has the opportunity to apply during her freshman, sophomore, and junior year.
It is recommended that the student be an active member of the Global Education Club, frequently attend speaker events, and has a commitment to participate in travel. This is an esteemed honor that is recognized on their college transcripts and at graduation.
Acceptance into this program signifies this student has committed to being an active member in the program. To become and maintain membership as a Global Education Scholar:
- Maintain a minimum GPA requirement of 3.5.
- Understand, develop, and continuously grow their global education competencies.
- Commit to a curriculum with a global education focus.
- Commit to 4 years of a world language. It does not have to be the same language; however, that is preferred.
- Participate in Global Education learning opportunities and reflections based on their year in school.
Sophomores: 2-3 per year
Juniors: 3-4 per year
Seniors: 5-7 per year
- Meet with the Global Education Director on a regular basis.
- Join and lead globally-focused extracurricular clubs.
- Complete at least one Global Education Travel Opportunity, or hosting experience and present to their peers about the experience.
Please contact Katie Richardson '99, Director of Global Education, at (314) 394-4089 or at email@example.com.
* Summer trips are not school-sponsored.