The goals of the Mathematics Department are to offer a complete high school mathematics curriculum for the college-bound student and to challenge each individual to develop her God-given mathematical talents.
- Students will develop logical and creative approaches to problem solving.
- Students will develop facility in applying basic mathematical concepts.
- Students will develop clarity and precision in language usage.
- Students will develop an appreciation for the deductive nature of mathematics.
- Students will select courses that allow her maximum achievement for her abilities, needs, and interests.
- Students will experience a smooth transition to mathematics courses at the college level.
Four credits in mathematics are required for graduation. A Texas Instruments graphing calculator is required for all mathematics classes. The model numbers of the calculators that may be used are announced in the spring.
Billiken Beams Bridge building club
St. Joe participates in the St. Louis University Billiken BEAMS Bridge Building Competition. Each team, consisting of two or three members, is tasked with designing, building and testing a model bridge made out of balsawood and according to a set of design specifications set out by the Civil Engineering Department at SLU. This school year will be the 11th year St. Joe will be competing in the contest.