The goal of the English Department is to help students attain a liberal arts perspective through the comprehensive study of and exposure to language and literature, especially as a reflection of human values and cultures, a presentation of the historical development of ideas, an opportunity to respond to and appreciate different life experiences, and the development of communications skills.
- To provide a wide variety of literary experiences through the study of American, English and global literature.
- To develop an appreciation of content, purpose and structure in literature.
- To provide training and practice in grammar, vocabulary development and composition skills that enable the students to communicate effectively.
- To provide, through language and literature studies, the opportunities for inquiry, collaborative learning and critical thinking.
- To integrate technological tools into all areas of the English learning experience.
Four credits in English are required at St. Joseph’s Academy:
- One credit of World Literature is required of freshmen.
- One credit of American Literature is required of sophomores.
- One credit of British Literature is required of juniors.
- One credit of English courses is required of seniors.
Seniors who are NOT taking AP/ACC Senior English are required to take two elective one-semester courses: one must be a writing course, and one must be a literature course.